Christine McGinnity-Hall

SWC Manager

Free/Reduced Lunch

Applying for Free and/or Reduced Meals?

There are two ways to apply for free and/or reduced meals:

Option A

Apply using the on-line ELECTRONIC Free/Reduced Family Application Form.

It is easy to apply for Free/Reduced meals and it only takes a few minutes when you apply on-line.

*Processing time is faster when you apply on-line.

*The site is a safe and secure site!

You MUST read the parent letter before completing the on-line application.

 2017-2018 Onlineparent letter OR 2017-2018 Onlineparent letter SP


Apply Online (English) OR Apply Online (Spanish)

Option B

Apply for Free/Reduced meals on a paper application. 

Visit your child's school to obtain a paper application.

Return the completed application to your child's school.

The processing of an application can take up to 10 operating days. Once you have submitted an application and it is processed, you will receive an Eligibility Notification letter with your child's meal status. The letter will be sent home with your child. Please keep this eligibility letter with your important papers.


Please note: If you have submitted a paper application, DO NOT complete an on-line application. THIS WILL DELAY YOUR APPROVAL PROCESS.


Parents, if your family qualifies for the free or reduced lunch program you may qualify for a “Step Up for Students” scholarship. To find out more go to,

For additional information email [email protected] or call 877-735-7837.

'18-'19 Meal Charging Policy

Students without lunch money are allowed to borrow one time and one time only for a school lunch.

The money they borrow must be paid back to avoid obligations to the school which would stop them from purchasing tickets to dances, events, etc.

Once the student has reached that limit , they will NOT be allowed to charge for another meal.

Students will be told they do not have enough funds in their account and a call will be made to parents/guardians.

Click below to see the borrowing policy summary

Pre-Payment Option

Parents may now pre-pay by credit or debit card for student meals and ala'carte.

Please visit:  to participate or call 1-855-832-5226. 
In order for parents to create an account on myschoolbucks, they must know their student's  ten digit customer ID number.  Parents can retrieve the ID number from a tab on their Parent Portal accounts, labeled SW Café.  This is a web-based service that requires little interaction with the café manager.  
The  ParentPortal is a tool designed to enhance the communication and involvement of parents in their child's education  in Volusia County Schools. In addition to guiding you to your child's prepaid lunch account, the ParentPortal will allow you to monitor your child's progress in school by providing Internet access to grades, attendance, discipline, academic history, graduation verification, and standardized test results in a secure password protected environment.  Contact your school to sign up for ParentPortal.  
Please note:  There is no fee for parents to set up an account and view a meal history.  If parents wish to use myschoolbucks for pre-payment, there is a $1.95 per transaction fee.  


??Q: How does my child get a lunch number?
A: Every student of Volusia County is issued a PIN from School Way Café upon enrollment. PINs must be used when students want to enjoy a breakfast, lunch or ala carte item from us.

Q: Does my child keep this lunch number throughout elementary, middle and high school?
A: Your child will keep the same PIN as long as he/she remains in the same school. If your child transfers to another school, he/she will be issued a new PIN. Students moving from elementary to middle school and from middle to high school also receive new PINs.

Q: It’s the end of the year and there is money in my child’s account. What should I do?
A: If your child is staying in Volusia County Schools, the account balance stays in the account to use the following school year.

Q: We are moving and my child will be attending another Volusia County school. There is money in my child’ s account. What should I do?
A: You may request a refund from the café manager at your child’s school. It is best to do this before you withdraw from the school. Requesting a refund after you withdraw your child will delay the refund.

Q: My child is going to middle school next year and has money in her account? Will the money transfer to middle school?
A: Yes.

Q: My child qualifies for free meals. I received a telephone call telling me my child owed the cafeteria money. How could this happen?
A: If your student purchased a meal before your application for free meals was approved, we are required to charge you full price, according to Federal Regulations.

Q: A company is calling me telling me my check was returned at my child’s school? Is this a legitimate call?
A: Yes, if the company is CheckRedi.

If you have a question or comment please email: [email protected]