- Student selection focuses on students in the middle academically;
- Voluntary program participation by students and staff;
- AVID elective offered during school day;
- Enrollment in rigorous curriculum;
- Writing curriculum;
- Inquiry emphasis;
- Trained tutors;
- Data collection and analysis;
- School or District resources committed;
- Active, inter-disciplinary site team.
The AVID system is an international college preparatory system designed to support students in the academic middle and to teach them how to prepare for and succeed in colleges and universities. Participating students commit themselves to improvement and preparation for college.
Through AVID, students are offered a rigorous program that focuses on developing academic “survival skills” and college level entry skills. The system teaches students how to manage their time, take notes, read for content, and study effectively.
AVID represents a systematic approach that supports Volusia County Schools’ Goal: to increase achievement for each and every student.
AVID is offered in more than 4,500 sites throughout the United States and has an enrollment of more than 327,000 students worldwide. Approximately 74% of AVID high school graduates enroll in four- year colleges.